Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mystery Plant


Last year I had a plant that I couldn't identify. It was just a mass of green leaves, no flowers, fruit, or other distinguishing features. I guessed that it came from our old house, because it was in the section of the bed that I hurriedly created to hold the "refugee plants," but I couldn't think what it could be.

This morning, I noticed it had put out a stalk with small yellow blooms. I went inside where Teresa was painting a TV cabinet.

"Remember that perennial foxglove at our old house that you liked so much?" I asked. "What color was it?"

"Yellow."

"Come look at this."

She agreed that it looked like a foxglove, except that the flower stalk is much shorter. I don't remember digging a foxglove from the old house, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm getting close to forty and the memory is the second thing to go. (I forgot what the first is.)

The bad news is that later this morning as I was deadheading salvia, I felt something snap against my leg. I didn't realize the stalk was so rigid. Maybe it will grow back.

What do you think? Foxglove or something else?

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Definitely foxglove. I have the same one, but it's a passalong plant and I don't know the botanical name. It just might send up another flower stalk. If not, it should come back next year.